One of the 10 best streets in America is about to also become one of the fastest streets in America. The Delmar Loop will host the Loop de Loop race Friday night.
The race is the first stage of the Missouri Professional Cycling Series. The series also includes the Tour de Grove and the Dutchtown Classic. Big Shark Bicycle Company on Delmar coordinates the races.
“The Tour of Missouri Professional Cycling Race created a healthy appetite for the top level of professional cycling in our state," said Mike Weiss, race director and former Tour of Missouri Professional Cycling Race Board President. "The Missouri Professional Cycling Series is bringing back many of the same teams and athletes. It’s an Olympic year and internationally sanctioned which will elevate the intensity of the competition — it will be a show.”
The MO PRO features three days of competitive cycling in three distinct neighborhoods, daily neighborhood expos, family events, races for kids and outdoor activities.
Schedule of Events
- 2 p.m. — Delmar Blvd closes.
- 2:30 p.m. — On-Site Registration Opens
- 3:30 p.m. — USAC Cat 5 30 minutes + 5 Laps
- 4:15 p.m. — Master’s 40+/50+ (Cat 1-4) 40 minutes + 5 Laps
- 5:10 p.m. — Kids Races Big Wheel to 12 Yrs. Ribbons/Prizes
- 5:35 p.m. — Women Cat 3/4 30 minutes +5 Laps
- 6:20 p.m. — USAC Cat 4/5 35 minutes + 5 Laps
- 7:10 p.m. — USAC Cat 2/3 50 minutes + 5 Laps
- 8:15 p.m. — Women Pro/1/2 50 minutes + 5 Laps
- 9:15 p.m. — Men Pro/1/2 60 minutes + 5 Laps
Weiss told the Loop Special Business District Tuesday that University City Police would monitor road closures and guards would be posted at pedestrian crossings to ensure safety for riders and spectators.
Watching the Loop de Loop
Some of the best seats in the house will be at the three Michelob ULTRA viewing parties ringside on Friday night. They are:
- Fitz’s Turn 4 Viewing party at Fitz’s Rootbeer and Bottling Co.
- Patio dining and European culture and cooking can be found at The Melting Pot.
- The Loop de Loop ULTRA beer garden at Cicero’s Restaurant.
There will also be grandstands and other areas for spectators along the route.
The $5 entry fee includes a Missouri Professional Cycling Series T-Shirt, Fitz’s Restaurant Gift Coupons, Jelly Belly Pro Cycling Team Schwag, a MO PRO Coloring Poster designed by Rokitmul, an official race number, awards ribbons and more.
Age classes are divided into six categories, (Big Wheel, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8. 9-10, 11-12) making for fair and fun competition. Participants should arrive and register one hour prior to race start- registration closes 15 minutes prior to the races.
The top 3 finishers in each category will receive custom MO PRO Build-a-Bears from St. Louis’ own Build-a-Bear Workshop. We’ll be putting 3 bears on the line- 3 per race for all 5 races.
An entry form is attached to this story.