Top Weekly Local Voices: Nanny Scammers, Menopause Relief and the Jubilee Queen
Patch rounds up seven recent standout blogs from the 24 St. Louis Patch websites.
From drawing comparisons between Subway and healthcare providers to outlining why nice guys really do finish first, the Patch's Local Voices bloggers pulled out all the stops this week.
Here are seven posts that caught my attention around Patchland this week.
- Scammers are stooping pretty low these days, even stealing from local students who are working their way through college. Better Business Bureau blogger Jerri Stroud shares news about a Mizzou student from Florissant who thought she had found the perfect summer job as a nanny to a 6-year-old little boy. Instead of gainful summer employment, the student was taken for more than $2,000 in a con game.
- What do Subway Restaurant and your doctor have in common? More than you think, according to health blogger David Corbitt—and it all starts with quick and friendly service.
- Old dog, new tricks? Blogger and dog trainer Sarah Hoth regales readers with a surprising explanation of the origin of a familiar phrase that isn’t exactly related to dogs, and why it may not be accurate anyway.
- Speaking of new tricks, Mason Ridge Garden Club Founder Claire Chosid shares the scoop on some fun classes and other learning opportunities at the Missouri Botanical Garden, as well as at Shaw Nature Reserve and the Butterfly House.
- Nice guys finish first, according to Off the Top of My Head blogger Jim Frain. Not only being nice good for you, but it can change your life in some pretty major ways. Frain outlines 10 ways that kindness can enrich your life.
- Can you really relieve menopause by turning off the television? Yes, according to Mattingly Chiropractic blogger Carolyn Carter. As it turns out, inactivity combined with certain elements blasted from the TV can add up to some really uncomfortable circumstances for women in menopause.
- The Jubilee Queen is coming to St. Louis. Sort of. Actually, according to A Scot in STL Blogger Mark Sutherland, June 5 will be “Queen Elizabeth II Day” in St. Louis. The city will celebrate QE’s 60 years on the throne with its own Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Lunch at the London Tea Room. Sutherland offers details on the “strong and vibrant” St. Louis/UK connection.
Which blog posts did you enjoy this week? Share your favorites in the comments section, below.