According to the Safe Routes to School Guide on teaching children to walk safely as they grow and develop:
- Safe crossing sites have few cars and clear views of traffic.
- Always stop at the edge of the road or the curb to look for traffic.
- It is important to look for cars in all directions before starting to cross.
- It is safest to cross when no cars are coming in any direction. If you are at an intersection with a walk signal, wait until the walk signal appears and then look in all directions for traffic before crossing.
- Keep looking for traffic when crossing to make sure you can see cars coming.
- Walking directly across the street is the safest way to cross.
For more information about the safety of walking to school, check out Safe Routes. Click here.