Ward 4 Arnold City Councilman Ken Moss has filed a defamation lawsuit against four city officials and a private investigator - all of whom were involved in the investigation of a harassment complaint made by a city employee.
In October, Susie Boone, the city's parks and recreation director, went public alleging Moss had harassed her for more than two years. Boone claims the harassment began after Moss' sister was fired from the Parks Department in 2010.
That's when the city hired an independent firm to investigate the complaint. After the investigation was complete,five out of eight councilmembers - including Moss - refused to accept it into public record calling it hearsay and a "sham." The same five later .
Earlier this month, Police Chief/Acting City Administrator Robert Shockey filed a complaint with the state alleging Moss and Ward 1 Councilwoman Doris retaliated against him because of the investigation.
The following individuals were named in Moss' lawsuit: Arnold Mayor Ron Counts; City Attorney Bob Sweeney; Shockey; Boone; and Kevin Garrison, the owner of Protective & Investigative Services.
Moss filed the lawsuit on Feb. 14 alleging Shockey and Boone defamed him in their accusations, according to an article on stltoday.com. The lawsuit alleges Counts, Sweeney and Garrison made false statement against Moss.
Attorney Chet Pleban filed the suit on behalf of Moss. Patch was unable to reach Pleban or Arnold City Attorney Bob Sweeney for comment.
Patch has requested a copy of the lawsuit from the city. We'll provide updates when they become available.
See previous articles:
- Arnold Police Chief Files Harassment Claim With State
- Arnold Council Refuses to Pay for Independent Investigation
- Cricky Lang: 'We Just Need to Get Past This'
- Arnold Park Director's Lawyer Files Second Complaint With State
- Ken Moss: 'I Didn't Do Anything'
- Moss Says He Was Asked to Resign in September
- Arnold Councilman to Call for Impeachment of Ken Moss?
- Arnold Council Votes Down Acceptance of Harassment Investigation
- Arnold Employee Files Harassment Complaint Against Councilman